Passionate Enterprise

The creative force behind all great art, all great drama, all great music, all great architecture, all great writing is passion. Nothing great is ever accomplished in life without passion. Nothing great is ever sustained in life without passion. Passion is what energizes life. Passion makes the impossible possible. Passion gives you a reason to get up in the morning and go, “I’m going to do something with my life today.” Without passion life becomes boring. It becomes monotonous. It becomes routine. It becomes dull. You were created with the emotions to have passion in your life and to live a passionate life. Passion is what mobilizes armies into action. Passion is what causes explorers to boldly go where no mans gone before. Passion is what causes scientists to spend late night hours trying to find the cure to a dreaded disease. Passion is what takes a good athlete and turns him or her into a great athlete. You have got to have passion in your life. Do you?

A major cause for losing passion in our lives is when we are engaged in enterprises that do not use the talents we each have been blessed with. Each of us has been given specific talents and abilities that are meant to be used in the service of others. You have a special role in this world and you are supposed to be using your talents to make a contribution with your life. If you don’t use your talents you are going to lose your passion. You were not given your special abilities just to sit on them and do nothing about it. In fact, it’s more like “use it or lose it”. Have you ever had that feeling coming home after a long days work? Rather than feeling satisfied, you feel like you just had the life force sucked from your body?

If you are stuck in a job that does not use your talents to any degree you are inevitably going to lose your zeal and zest and passion in life. It’s going to burn you out. Studies have shown that 70% of all Americans are in a job that does not use their talents. That’s tragic. We were designed to use our talents to earn our livelihood and the vast majority of us don’t. No wonder so many people are depressed about their jobs.

If you are in a job right now that uses only 30% of your talent, that’s probably going to give you a 70% boredom factor. Does that make any sense? You are bored by your job because it’s not using the talents that are inherent in your being. A lot of people are stuck in a job they hate, where they are not using their talents. They lose their zest for life.

The reality is you are probably never going to find a job that uses 100% of your talent. It is very rare.

The solution is for you to have a life that is more than your job.

If you are one of the few people whose job is using 100% of your talents, that’s great! But if your job is only using 30% of your talents, then in order to stay passionate about life, you need to be using the remaining 70% of your talents off the job. You can apply these talents with your family, serving others, volunteering, a business of your own on the side, coaching, a hobby, or a ministry. You need to use the talents you are not using in your job. No job could possibly use all the talents you have been blessed with. You need a job, but you also need an outlet that expresses what you are good at.

To fully practice the virtue of “Enterprise” is to use ones talents to earn your livelihood and then to serve others with what remains in your “talent tank”.

Use it or lose it.